1. If you add a beaten egg slowly to your batter mix it prevents the batter from becoming too stiff.
2. Always use eggs at room temperature when baking with them.
3. Eggs will whip more easily if left for 10 minutes in cold water before breaking.
4. Place the egg in a bowl of water, if it sinks and lies on its side, it’s fresh. If it sinks and stands large-end up, it’s on the turn so use within a couple of days. If it floats, bin it, as it’s gone off.
5. If you weigh four whole eggs in their shells, then whatever the weight is, that’s how much each of flour, sugar and butter you should add. This will ensure an delicious cake every time.
6. If you’re making soft meringue for a pie topping, say, for our Classic Lemon Meringue Pie, add a teaspoon of cornflour…
View original post 198 more words